Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Decide what you want to create.
E.g. I want to build a cat house.
2. Make a general plan of your idea.
E.g. Make a sketch on a piece of paper. How many cats will be living in the house? Do you need to insulate it for winter?
3. Do a web search.
E.g. Enter “cat house” in the search engine. Do any of the results look like the house you have in mind? Visit sites with video tutorials, such as Instructables ou Thingiverse.
4. Make an appointment at the fab lab.
Or simply go to the Fab Lab when it’s open to the public.
5. Take as many notes and photos as possible.
This will help you document your project. Use Wikifactory to document your project.
6. Do a cost assessment for your project.
It’s always disappointing when you realize that you’ve gone over budget.
7. Take your time.
Simple projects often become more complex. You may not be able to meet your initial deadline.